Family of Edwin & Mary Ann Best

Beatrice Louisa

Beatrice Louisa was born at Ryde in 1869. She married Harry Poole in 1888 (Harry's brother, Arthur, married Beatrice's sister in the same year). They lived at Epping from 1909 to about 1933 where their two children, Walter and Dorothy were born. They then retired to a house close to the beach at Dee Why.

Harry Poole Harry was an engineer, and is said to have invented an automatic door lock for trains which was not taken up at the time. This story is not corroborated by the family but Marj Harrison was told from her earliest years that her grandfather designed railway engines. Grandfather also built Marjorie a 4-wheel scooter and a wireless set.

Harry died in 1937 after being hit in the neck by a surfboard at Dee Why. He spent the two years until he died in Manly Hospital. Beatrice went to live with her daughter, Dorothy Michael, after Harry died. There were disagreements and Beatrice moved to a place near Roselands (Lakemba). Grand daughter Marj was not allowed to visit her, or her Grandmother Michael who lived next door. "I loved her and used to disobey, for which I had my face slapped". Beatrice died in about 1956.


Family of Beatrice and Harry Poole

Walter Poole, Parents and Grandparents Walter was born at Leichardt on the 14th June 1891, the son of Harry Poole and Beatrice Lousia Best. Walter married Florence Mary McIver, daughter of Charles McIver and Anna Stewart Soares, at Kempsey NSW, on the 9th April 1923.

Trooper Walter Poole, 4th Australian Light Horse Machine Gun Squadron. Walter did his part in the charge of the Light Horse at Beersheba during World War One. This famous charge has entered the annals of Australian folklore. Cantering, and then thundering into a gallop across 8 kilometres of open ground, through shrapnel and bullets, the men literally leapt over the Turkish trenches before jumping off their horses for a fierce hand-to-hand struggle which the astonished defenders.

Walter was later wounded on the 25th Sept. 1918 at the Battle for Semakh, where the 4th Light horse Machine Gun Squadron, under Major H. W. Harper excelled by advancing at the gallop over ground swept by bullets, they came into action at the crucial moment, and by their sure fire made the final charge possible.

A hot firefight developed at revolver range, and for more than an hour the struggle was stationary. But the Australian machine gunners made it impossible for the Germans to hold the windows of the buildings, and so substantially reduced the enemy's fire.

The cost of the fight to the Australians was 3 officers and 11 other ranks killed, and 4 officers and 25 other ranks, including Walter Poole, wounded. The enemy had 98 killed, and the Australians captured 23 officers and 341 other ranks.

Walter Poole entered the N.S.W. Forestry Department as an assessor at Taree in 1920, later serving at Kempsey and Coffs Harbour prior to going to Nowra in 1934, to the Western districts in 1936, to Eden in 1938, to Kempsey in 1941, to Macksville in 1942, and back to Kempsey in 1951, remaining there on duty until his retirement, 36 years later, and only missing work on four days.

Walter's signature on many Forestry Department maps indicated that he had pioneered some of the roughest and most rugged country in New South Wales.

He also founded the Kempsy Golf Club.

At Kempsey on the 26th June 1962, Walter lost his battle with cancer, and he lies buried in the Anglican section of the West Kempsey cemetery.

Walter and Florence had one child, Eve, who married George Poole (not related). They had one son, who when very young, set himself alight with petrol and spent many years in a Sydney hospital. He is now married and has one son.

Dorothy Winifred married Cecil Michael at St Stephen's Willoughby in 1917.

Cecil's father, Henry Alfred Michael, a Commercial Customs Broker, had entered and won a competition to name the area then known as East Carlingford where he lived. He chose Epping after the English forest and the streets were named after English counties. The prize was 75 acres, on which he built his first home, "The Poplars", which was sold with most of the land when he died (at age 42) and is now a hospital. A new house was built for the family at 74 Norfolk Road.

Cecil had infantile paralysis when young, resulting in a deformed right leg. He also lost the sight of his right eye resulting from a stick penetrating it when playing as a school boy.

Dorothy and Cecil had two children: