The Family of James Best of Durweston, Dorset
Thanks to Mrs Barbara Kennedy of Christchurch, Dorset, for her assistance researching this family
James Best was born in 1789 at Durweston, son of (Christopher) James and Peggy Roberts. Peggy died in September 1789, soon after James' birth.
James married Phyllis at Blandford Forum in March 1818. They lived at Langton Long Blandford, a small village just to the East of Blandford Forum for the next seven or eight years, before moving back to Blandford. From 1842 James had a carrying business, operating between Blandford and Poole.
James died in 1861. Philadelphia died later. They had ten children including one set of twins and one set of triplets. Only three of the children survived infancy
- Ambrose was born August 1818; died March 1819
- James was born August 1820 at LLB; died ?
- Maria was born in 1823 (one of triplets) and married Alfred Hare at Blandford Forum in 1843. Maria and Alfred had six children before migrating to New South Wales in 1856.
- Joseph was born 1823 (one of triplets); died March 1826
- Benjamin was born 1823 (one of triplets); died June 1826
- Charles was born 1825 (twin); died March 1826
- Sarah was born November 1825; died ?
- Peggy was born 1828, Blandford; married William Fisher Crouch. Peggy and William had ten children.
- Charles was born 1830, Blandford. Charles married Mary Ann Ranger and they had six children
- Jane was born 1833; died 1834